Butter mochi is rich, chewy, spongy, and mind-blowingly easy to make. It’s more filling than it looks, so you just need a few slices per person. If you’d like, put a few slices in the microwave for 30 seconds for that fresh-out-of-the-oven taste.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: Mochiko flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a smaller bowl, thoroughly mix together the wet ingredients: coconut milk, evaporated milk, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Incorporate the wet ingredients to the dry mix, and mix until batter is smooth. Small lumps are OK.
- Grease a 9-by-13-inch pan with butter, then pour the batter.
- Bake for 1 hour or until golden brown on the edges.
- Allow to cool before cutting into bite-size squares.
- If you’d like, microwave sliced mochi for 30 seconds before serving.
Tatiana Bautista is an assistant editor at TASTE.