Gado-Gado: Javanese-Style Vegetable Salad With Peanut Sauce
potatoes, peeled, boiled, and chopped into chunks
chayote peeled, diced, and blanched
watercress leaf, washed and rinsed
bean sprouts, washed and blanched
long greens beans, cut into chunks and blanched
white cabbage, cut into thick slices and blanched
gourd, green (or white), sliced and blanched
cucumber, seedless, peeled and cut into thick slices
hard-boiled eggs, cut into wedges
cherry tomatoes, sliced
fried sliced shallot
fried garlic crackers
firm tofu and tempeh, chopped into chunks and fried
peanuts, skin on
red chile, seedless and cut in large chunks
red bird's eye chile, cleaned and cut into four slices
cloves garlic, peeled
sweet soy sauce
A bed of blanched vegetables, tofu, and tempeh is the perfect blank canvas for garlicky, spicy peanut sauce in this classic Indonesian dish.
- Place peanuts, garlic, palm sugar, chiles, vegetable oil, and salt into a food processor. Pulse until you get a smooth paste. Place in a mixing bowl.
- Add tamarind paste, lime juice, and sweet soy sauce to the mix and stir.
- Keep stirring, pouring only enough of the warm water until you reach your desired consistency.
- Use a paper towel to drain any excess water from the blanched vegetables so that they stay crisp and crunchy. Blanched vegetables should be kept slightly undercooked (al dente). In a large bowl, combine all the vegetables except the cherry tomatoes.
- Add the peanut dressing. If too thick, thin out by adding some hot water.
- Stir well, taste, and adjust the seasoning accordingly.
- Sprinkle the fried shallots on top, then add the cherry tomatoes, egg wedges, tofu, tempeh, and crackers. Mix and serve.