In Tamales, Alice Guadalupe Tapp shares over 60 recipes covering this iconic Mexican dish.
Here is another great vegan tamale recipe from my sister, Diane. Because it’s vegan, the recipe eliminates the Parmesan or Romano cheese found in most pesto recipes. This is also on our menu at Tamara’s Tamales, and it keeps our vegan customers happy. It’s also delicious made with carrots instead of potatoes. Cut four large carrots into strips and parboil them before assembling the tamales.
- If you use the margarine or shortening, place it in a mixing bowl and whip for 2 to 3 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add the masa and beat for 1 minute more, then add the stock, a little at a time, then add the salt and mushroom powder to taste. Continue beating for 2 to 4 minutes, or until a pinch of masa floats to the top of a cup of water.
- If using the olive oil, pour it into shallow casserole dish, cover, and place in the freezer for at least 24 hours. Remove right before using. It should be frozen to the hard stage. The temperature and the dense, solidified consistency help the masa remain light and fluffy during cooking. Combine the frozen oil and the masa in a mixing bowl and beat together for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the stock a little at a time, then add the salt and mushroom powder and beat until light and fluffy, 4 to 5 minutes, or until a pinch of dough floats to the top of a cup of water.
- Peel and cut the potato lengthwise into 1/4-inch “French fry” strips. Heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, add the potato, and fry until browned on all sides, about 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In food processor, process the jalapeños, garlic, pine nuts, cilantro, remaining 1/2 cup olive oil, and salt until smooth.
- Assemble the tamales, using 1/4 cup masa, 4 or 5 strips of potato, and 2 heaping tablespoons jalapeño pesto for each tamale. Transfer to a steamer and steam for 50 minutes.
Reprinted with permission from Tamales, by Alice Guadalupe Tapp, copyright © 2014. Published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Random House LLC. Photography copyright (c) 2014