Macaroni and cheese is pretty much perfection on its own, but it also lends itself to variations like no other comfort food. This luscious, earthy pumpkin version can be made with either homemade or canned pumpkin puree, and leftovers are just as delicious—simply reheat with a little extra milk to help loosen and reconstruct the sauce. This is gonna be your MVP—Most Valuable Pumpkin—recipe of the season.
- Preheat oven to 350°F, place cubed pumpkin on a baking sheet or in a baking dish, sprinkle with oil, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp nutmeg. Place thyme on top and bake, occasionally stirring, for 25-30 minutes or until soft and golden brown.
- Cool, discard thyme, and puree pumpkin in a blender with 1/4 cup of milk. If not used right away, store in refrigerator.
- Cook 2 1/2 cups macaroni al dente (see instructions on the package). Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour and stir until smooth. Pour cold milk in a thin stream while whisking. Add salt and pepper. Cook and stir until the sauce thickens, about 7-10 minutes.
- Stir in pumpkin puree and 2 cups of grated cheese. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed. Mix the sauce into the macaroni.
- Place mac ’n’ cheese into a baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining cup of grated cheese on top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
Recipe by Tara Tuckwiller