BBQ rub doesn’t need to stop at meat. Coat it on vegetables and serve with creamy dressing.
- Combine the brown sugar, salt, pimentón, pepper, granulated garlic, onion granules, celery salt, cayenne, and cumin in a bowl. Mix well.
- In a large pot, combine the water with 1 cup of the BBQ Rub and the kosher salt. Bring to a boil, add the carrots, and cook until they’re just about fully cooked, about 5 minutes. Drain the carrots and set aside.
- Build a fire on one side of a charcoal grill and let it burn down to embers.
- Toss the blanched carrots with the remaining 1 tablespoon of BBQ Rub and the olive oil in a large bowl.
- Arrange the carrots on the grill over direct heat and cook, moving them around a bit, until they have some char marks and are finished, about 5 minutes.
- Pile the carrots on a serving plate, season with the sea salt, drizzle with the lemon juice, and garnish with the pecans and dill. Taste and add more salt or lemon juice, if needed. Dress the carrots with the Ranchovy Herb Dressing and serve.
- Whisk all the ingredients in a bowl and season with the salt and pepper. Taste and add more salt and pepper. Transfer the dressing to a glass container with a lid and refrigerate. The dressing will keep in the fridge for up to 1 week. Give the jar a good shake before using.
Reprinted from Cheers to the Publican, Repast and Present. Copyright © 2017 by Paul Kahan, Cosmo Goss and Rachel Holtzman. Published by Lorena Jones Books, an imprint of Penguin Random House, LLC.