This simple, straightforward noodle dish doesn’t require a lot of ingredients. The key is the low and slow cook of scallions, which amplifies their savory, oniony flavor. There will be plenty of leftover scallion oil, which will keep for about a week, unrefrigerated in an airtight container.
- Section off the white and green parts of the scallions into 1-inch pieces.
- Add oil to a large pan over low heat. Once hot, add the scallion whites and cook for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally to avoid burning, and lower heat even more if needed.
- Add the scallion greens and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Once everything has softened, add both types of soy sauce and sugar. Mix thoroughly until sugar has dissolved.
- Add a few spoonfuls of oil to bowls of fresh noodles, and add the cooked scallions on top to your liking.
- Pour the rest of the cooked scallions and oil into an airtight container.
Tatiana Bautista is an assistant editor at TASTE.