Mac ’n’ cheese gets an upgrade with browned onions and Gouda cheese. It’s still kid-friendly, but a nice change of pace from the usual versions made with Cheddar. Serve it right out of the pot or broil it in a baking dish just before serving, with some bread crumbs sprinkled on top.
- Select the high Sauté setting on the Instant Pot and melt the butter. Add the onion and sauté for about 10 minutes, until the onion begins to brown. Add the macaroni and broth. Stir to combine, using a wooden spoon to nudge loose any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Secure the lid and set the Pressure Release to Sealing. Press the Cancel button to reset the cooking program, then select the Pressure Cook or Manual setting and set the cooking time for 6 minutes at high pressure. (The pot will take about 10 minutes to come up to pressure before the cooking program begins.)
- When the cooking program ends, perform a quick pressure release by moving the Pressure Release to Venting. Open the pot and stir in the Gouda, Parmesan, half-and-half, mustard, and pepper. Let stand for 5 minutes, until thickened, then stir again.
- Spoon the macaroni and cheese into bowls and serve hot.
- If you like a crisp topping, transfer the macaroni and cheese to a 3-quart broiler-safe baking dish, sprinkle evenly with 1 cup panko bread crumbs, then broil for a few minutes, until the bread crumbs are golden brown, before serving.
Reprinted with permission from The Ultimate Instant Pot Cookbook by Coco Morante, copyright © 2018. Published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Penguin Random House. Photography credit Jennifer Davick © 2018