For progressive eaters, the BLT can seem like a dated, limited sandwich. Opt for the more inclusive, forward-thinking LGBTQ Sandwich, a riff on the classic based on an Internet meme, made in homage to the queer community’s diversity. The sandwich mashes the healthy with the indulgent, resulting in a queer and comforting take on an American classic. Read more about it here.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Prepare cashew queso by blending cashews, tomato paste, chipotle, paprika, yeast, water, 1 teaspoon salt, lemon juice, garlic, and shallot. Add more water as needed to make queso less stiff, but note that the dip should be spreadable instead of soupy.
- Prepare the guacamole: Remove the avocado pits and mix together the avocado with chopped tomato, onion, and the serrano. Add in the lime juice, cilantro, salt, pepper, and oregano, and mix. To finesse, add more lime, salt, and pepper as needed.
- Lay the bacon flat on a sheet pan with high sides and bake the bacon until crisp at the edges, about 15 minutes, depending on the thickness of the bacon. Meanwhile, slice tomatoes and wash the arugula as the bacon cooks.
- Remove bacon and let chill. Dip the faces of bread slices in bacon fat, and place on a sheet pan. Toast in the oven for 3 to 5 minutes, until toasted to your liking.
- Remove bread and assemble the sandwich: Spread guacamole on bottom slice, on bacon fat side; add tomato slices and pinch salt; add two slices of bacon and small handful of arugula; and smear queso on top slice. Add sliced fontina or cheddar for a nonvegan cheese alternative.